Sunday, October 23, 2011

Pinterest Project #2: Yarn Letter

So this weekend I did another one of the Pinterest Projects on my list.  This time I decided to make one of these cute yarn letters I saw... (well so I thought I pinned it, but when I went back to find the image it wasn't there. I think I'm starting to mentally pin things now!)

Pinterest Yarn Letters - Pin It!
Sidenote: When I was growing up I would make collages of all these little images I cut out of magazines. I would put them all over stuff like boxes, notebook and whatever else. I would spend hours doing that, so naturally wrapping string around cardboard for several hours appealed to me! 

But anyways, here is how my 2nd Pinterest attempt went...

I first made a pattern by printing the letter with the font and size I wanted. I chose a serif font to give it a little interest. Then I traced the pattern on some cardboard I already had. I traced two since I made it 3-dimensional.  

 

I then cut the two S's out and used a thinner, more bendable cardboard (came as stuffing in a box) for the sides and assembled with painter's tape (any tape will work that just happened to be all I had).


I then wrapped the 'serif' ends first so that I could cover the outer edges of the 'serif' part.  That way when I started wrapping around the letter my yarn would all we going the same way (if that makes sense?). It only took me an entire Texas Rangers baseball game to wrap this letter (Note: I was not AT the game wrapping this letter...that would be weird)! Go Rangers! And here is the final product...


And here is where it temporarily sits...


This project only cost me under $3!!
Printed pattern= FREE
Cardboard= FREE (already had)
Tape= already had
Yarn= about $2.50 because I had a 25% off coupon from Michael's
TOTAL COST= $2.50

I really enjoyed this project! It made me want to wrap everything with yarn. I think I might wrap a word next or maybe I should wrap Jade. She could be a yarn-wrapped dog (a.k.a. Pinterest Victim) for Halloween.

Happy Pinning!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, that is so cute! I love the color too! Keep these projects coming. I am getting great entertainment by reading about them. : )

    ReplyDelete